Monday, September 27, 2010

Americans Should Learn to Talk American

By “Pintface” Pete Bogs/BogsBlog

Recently I saw a bumper sticker that read: “Speak English or Go Back to the Country You Left”

This got me thinking: Why stop at the spoken word when considering who(m) gets to stay or go? Let’s include the written word as well and send away people who write things like:
  • Your welcome.
  • We open at 7:00 everyday.
  • I like you alot.
  • I’m smarter then you.
  • I’ll prolly be late.
Sure, there are people with legitimate learning disabilities, but alot (sic) of this horrendous spelling comes from lazy-ass people who simply can’t be bothered to do things rite.

I bet many of those sporting the above bumper sticker wouldn’t pass a written English test. If not, I say we send ‘em back to wherever their great grandparents came from! Err, I mean, from wherever their great grandparents came. Or at least somewhere I won't ever encounter them.

7 comments:

LeftLeaningLady said...

I recently saw a picture of someone at a TEA Party rally with a sign that read, "This is Are Country." I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.

Now I cry.

And I posted on someone's Facebook in the last week and typed "your" instead of "you are." Haunts me.

Pete Bogs said...

LLL - I like the Tea Party sign that said "Speak English, morans!"

Don't feel bad about your grammar slip; we're all human, and even I as a professional copywriter have typos in my work. I am talking here about people who virtually do this (spell things incorrectly) for a living. No excuses for them!

Polly said...

As a person who cringes every time I hear 'y'all' in Americspeak, I appreciate this post so very much.
We in Australia have to make the leap every day between American spelling and correct English spelling just by using the computer. No matter how many times I put in "English (British)" it always reverts to Americanspeak.

I am so pleased to read an educated American's perspective and love the examples that you and LLL gave.

Pete Bogs said...

Polly - I must admit, when I moved to Florida at 10 years of age I was saying "y'all" within weeks. You really pick up these things from your surroundings. I am hyper-conscious of using the word now, though it still slips out once in a while (ouch). Kind of two words compressed into one, e.g., "g'day." But there's no excuse for so many people not understanding where each word should be used ("your" v. "you're").

LeftLeaningLady said...

I grew up with y'all and fixin' to.
Hey y'all, I'm fixin to go to town, wanna come?

I still use them both, but very seldom. I don't beat myself up over it. I write well, in complete sentences, using the King's English.

Nt n txt talk, wear no won has a clue. (I think that may make more sense than some of my niece's facebook posts!!

LeftLeaningLady said...

The real reason I stopped in though Pete is to tell you that I heard on NPR this morning that the Republicans are ahead in the polls.
In EVERY poll in Florida. Every one.

Two words, Pete. RICK SCOTT.

Two more! PLEASE VOTE.

Pete Bogs said...

LLL - One of the things I noticed when I moved south was the use of "fixin'". It seems to beat around the bush; stop fixin' to do things and just do 'em! ;-)

FWIW, I will prolly (sic) vote, but I will have to hold my nose to do so. I have a hard time believing I will be better off under any current candidate.