Wednesday, October 08, 2008

You Wanna See Something Really Scary?

Halloween is just round the corner. And while stories of unscrupulous people putting razor blades or needles into children’s candy are largely the stuff of urban legend, this year there is genuine reason to worry about what the little goblins are eating.

Some candies produced in China and sold in the US have been found to contain a toxin called melamine. I’d heard candy was bad for you, but come on! The life-threatening substance was used as filler by unscrupulous manufacturers in an effort to boost production. Is it possible these melameanies are even more fervent free market capitalists than some of their Western counterparts?

The candy poisoning follows closely on the heels of the deaths of several Chinese children who drank milk tainted with the same substance. Milk? Children’s milk, Mandrake? (Perhaps in a vastly overpopulated country – which includes many, many abandoned girls – the responsible companies see themselves as providing some perverse social benefit?)

Some of the people involved in the production of the tainted goods (I use that term loosely) have been arrested. I never thought I’d say this about that Great Land of Oppression (GLOP), but at least China has some accountability. Over here bad products result in civil lawsuits. I’m not convinced, though, that the criminal route is wrong; meaning, if industrialists thought they could actually face jail (rather than a financial penalty they would simply never pay), would they be more concerned with the safety of their products?

One thing is certain – there are real monsters in the world. Many of them live in China. Don’t go swallowing anything with the "C" word on it.

14 comments:

dianne said...

Thats a really terrible thing to do, using melamine as a filler in candy to boost the production.

Unbelievable, my pantry cupboard walls and shelves are lined and coated with melamine, why would anyone use it as a food?
What will they use next Formica or Laminex?

LeftLeaningLady said...

Scary stuff, Pete. I am glad I don't have to worry about about trick or treaters in my house anymore, but I will definitely check the bags of any candy that I buy to ensure it was not made in China. (Also, to ensure it was not made by Hershey, I don't buy Hershey anymore because they are moving a lot of their production to Mexico.)

I agree with you on the criminal charges. Charging a fine, even if it is paid, doesn't mean anything to these bigwigs. It was like the NFL charging the Patriots $250,000 for cheating last year. A drop in the bucket, like me losing a quarter.

The news makes me sick.

Pete Bogs said...

it's disgusting, ladies, and it's all true... some people are without conscience...

Jerry said...

Its all Fusking Bushes Fault!!

I hate all of you anti animal humonoid lovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete Bogs said...

jerry - oooookayy...

all - there are almost 11,000 kids sick
in the hospital because of this... unreal...

JaneEyre said...

Don't swallow anything with a C in it??

But how will I remain popular with the guys??!!!?

The Troll said...

My sources say that they arrest low-level technocrats who have fallen out-of-favor whenever a dangerous product scandal gets publicity in the West.

It's the evil mirror image of Captain Renault saying "Round up the usual suspects" near the end of Casablanca.

Pete Bogs said...

janeE - welcome! the exact quote was "Don’t go swallowing anything with the 'C' word on it." (but your paraphrasing is to be commended!)

that word being of course China... it scares me how often I hold a piece of clothing or just any item in my hand and see that word on it... like all these plates I have for example...

but seriously, don't eat Chinese food... the American variety is fine...

troll - they ought to make real arrests, and so should we, of the real guilty parties...

JaneEyre said...

It IS freaky how many things we have in our homes that were produced in China. For me, toys are the worst. Every time I buy one or my kids receive one, I think, "Does this have lead in it?" It's kind of stressful, to be honest.

Pete Bogs said...

janeE - doesn't this seem like a great opportunity for us to create more manufacturing jobs in the US? we can't trust Chinese products... let's start making things here...

JaneEyre said...

But .... but .... that would would be more expensive! I'm American. I want LOADS of CHEAP STUFF I DON'T REALLY NEED!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I can't tell you what a challenge it is to convince kids that sometimes less is more; better to have a few really good quality toys/shirts/what-have-you than to have tons of poorly made junk.

Pete Bogs said...

janeE - kids today... they don't know from quality!

Lil Bit said...

Damn, for real?

Does that include the fortune cookies I got with my takeout tonite???

Pete Bogs said...

lil - throw that crap away at once!