Monday, November 12, 2007

Move Over, Imelda Marcos!

What is it about the filthy rich and shoes? Do they all have foot fetishes? Or do they just have dirtier feet than the rest of us? Their hands are certainly dirtier.

Richard Roberts, son of televangelist Oral Roberts, and wife Lindsay have nearly 400 pair of shoes between them. This information came to light when Richard, president of the $50-million-in-debt Oral Roberts University, was recently sued over his extravagant spending. I gotta get me one of them high-paying religion jobs!

I have five pair of shoes: casual brown, casual black, dress black (my only leather pair, worn when someone dies or gets married), clean white sneakers and a dirty old pair of sneakers for exercise and other physical labors. (Flip-flops don't count, unless we're talking politics.)

God knows, in a manner of speaking, what the Roberts are doing with all those shoes. Perhaps they are stocking up to shoe the needy, shoeless masses – sort of following in the footsteps of their beneficent savior? Somehow I doubt that.

As for what should be done about the Roberts' spendthrift ways, I think the university ought to take a page from the Filipinos and run their greedy asses out of the country. I'm sure the Roberts have at least a few pair of running shoes between them.

7 comments:

LeftLeaningLady said...

I would probably own 400 pairs of shoes, if I had the money and the space. Actually, if I had the space, I would own at least 100 pair, even if they were all Payless shoes. I hope, however, that I would not let others suffer or send me their life savings so that I could buy those shoes (or add a personal shoe room to my house).

Of course, in a choice between books (and adding a library to my house) and shoes, the books win everytime!

Pete Bogs said...

LLL – not to sound sexist, but I know women loves them some shoes! for men they are more utilitarian; we don’t hold conversations about them with our friends…

it’s ok to have as many shoes as you want, provided they aren’t the result of you dipping into the till while others go without, as Marcos and Roberts did…

as for books, why not stockpile? you’re stockpiling knowledge, and there’s no reason why a library can’t be in your home instead on the local school campus… just like you can have your own wine cellar…

Aunty Belle said...

OKay--wow, I am in agreement wif' LLL--books rule! (but I likes shoes and handbags--as seen on FRONT porch)

LeftLeaningLady said...

The problem with stockpiling is that I really don't have the room, no kidding. We have 5 book cases and all are overflowing with books. Makes my new husband batshit. "you've already read it, can't we give it away?" And I do give TONS away every year. One day I will have room for all of them.

Aunty Belle, isn't it funny that I only own one purse at the time? But I ADORE shoes!

Pete Bogs said...

LLL - clearly the hubby doesn't understand the library concept... it's a "collection" of books... the fact that you've read it doesn't mean you should get rid of it... books are a resource that should be kept on-hand...

Bird said...

let he who is without sin cast the first shoe. (or did someone say that already?)

i cannot condem anyone for their shoe collection, regardless how vast and indulgent it may be.

currently, i have 10 pairs of shoes(yes, bogs, not counting flip-flops) in my closet: high heel boots (good for dates and work days that i want to feel ... different), black pair of sensible teacher flats (to wear the day after I wear my high heeled boots), brown pair of sensible teacher flats (which i haven't worn in a year - they are just TOO sensible), dress black pumps - for dress occasions at which drssy black high heeled boots or high heel sandals are not appropriate), beat-up and now oil-stained running shoes, one beige and one white pair of KEDS, two pair of leather sandals. And of course, one pair of hihg-heeled sandals for out on the town.

Once upon a time, BC (before children), I purchased a new pair of shoes with every paycheck; in my DC (during children) years, I still often bought one pair of shoes with each paycheck - but they were generally shoes for my children. of course, when i quit working outside the home to be at home, shoe purchases for children still continued - with hubby's paycheck. but it was damned annoying to watch my shoe collection dwindle from about 100 pairs to five. however, the collection was still relatively intact when my daughter hit her early elementary years, and she blames me now for her current shoe fetish. (i trained her up good.)

now that it's AC (after children), i hope to ramp up my shoe spending again -just a bit. i need more.

MORE

More!

Pete Bogs said...

bird - will womankind's lust for footwear ever abate? I fear not!