Friday, August 03, 2007

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Online Forum

Last Wednesday through Sunday I was in Boston spending time with a group of friends. What a great town, and what a great bunch of people. I had a blast. I talked, laughed and sang (yes, sang) so much that my voice went out of whack and I was being referred to as "Peter Brady."
...

Bogs does Boston

While away I didn’t keep up with world events, nor did I add any new posts or comments to my blog. (I actually tried to check it one day from a hotel computer, but the site was found to have “forbidden” words [“blowjob”] and wouldn’t load.)

Being out of touch with the world for several days while spending time with such positive people has made me reluctant to crawl back into the muck through which I regularly seek to find or provide clarity.

I have been avoiding most media sources all week. Essentially, I’ve had my head in the sand, and find those tiny rocks aren’t irritating my ears in the least. I honestly feel changed for the better after my sabbatical, and I am not in a hurry to change back.

This is not to say I feel the people who visit my site are negative; you’re all awesome. It’s the topics, which I pick, that are draining to me. Not so much the mechanics of putting down words into a post (I enjoyed doing the required papers in college that so many fellow students grumbled about), but having to contend with some ugly things (war, ignorance, corruption, etc.) so regularly.

Yet, I started this blog because I had a lot to say, and wanted an unfiltered outlet for my views. That's what I got. What am I complaining about? I’m not really complaining, I’m just questioning myself.

And those questions are: What now? Post less frequently? Keep it light and breezy? Revert to my "older, funnier" posts? Give it a rest for awhile? I still haven’t decided. Maybe in a few days I’ll simply snap out of it (my aversion to all things negative). I continue to ponder my future direction on this site.

10 comments:

Jack K. said...

Pete, welcome back. I understand your reluctance to get back into the muck and the mud. It's a tough job, and you have done it admirably.

As you might have noticed, my postings have been more light hearted lately. There are days when I am not sure what or if I want to write anything. I am sure that the muse will tap me on the shoulder or head from time to time and I will write about more important things.

If you want to watch something that will curl the hair on you bald head go to this zeitgiest movie site. There are three parts to it. It takes about 2 hours, but you can select the parts you want to revisit by remembering the time and moving the indicator to that spot.

If I haven't said it before, welcome back. Great pics. Ain't it great to know that they have Guiness in Boston too?

Pete Bogs said...

thanks, and thanks for the link... Boston was a good town, and I was among many Guinness aficionados! still trying to figure out what I want to do, and didn't want to simply not post anything in the meantime...

Jack K. said...

I am sure the light will dawn and you will continue to write with humor/sarcasm/wit/erudition/keen inisights. I look forward to the next installment.

And, I promise not to have the DT's or other such withdrawal symptoms until then. snerx.

she said...

bogshond this is the eternal blogger question. i think it must be universal since i ask the same questions and i know other bloggers do too. why didnt i just stop with k9? why bother? who cares?? i should be using my time to make art or something where i might advance my goals for cri yi!

i agree a news cycle sabbatical is good for the spirit. the media are our mortal enemies. the redundant endlessly looping of one story media.

Mara said...

Hey there arrived home safely from the good ole US of A .....

I understand how you feel Pete.

Maybe its because we come back from a holiday (well for me part was holiday) and nothing really has changed. At home, work, news etc etc.

I try to put those feelings into a positive light.

There's always next holiday to look forward too.

Aunty Belle said...

...fergit fer awhile, Sugar. Let the Boston glow linger. the blogosphere ain't goin' noplace, it'll be here when youse figgered out what'cha wanan do wif it.

LeftLeaningLady said...

Pete,
You do a great job, but all soldiers (and aren't you a soldier in the war against tyranny?) need a furlough. I try to blog about other things (like NCAA football) it makes my life easier. You have to do what you can live with. But don't just be quiet, please, the rest of us need the hope you provide.
Ann

Pete Bogs said...

gang - still laying low here, but not down for the count...

Infinitesimal said...

i try to keep my blog positive or neutral only adding news items (always negative it seems) when they are particularly important or heavy on my mind.

i am in a rare crappy mood, so i will end comment with that.

so cheers!

Sanford B. Hines said...

Bogs? Why didnt I come to Boston with you? You OK?