Friday, April 13, 2007

A Farewell From The Monkey House (UPDATED)

Iconic American author Kurt Vonnegut has become unstuck in time, having just died aged 84.

Always a slow and lazy reader, I have managed to take in a few of his books over the years, including Slaughterhouse-Five, Bluebeard, Welcome To The Monkey House and possibly Player Piano, Breakfast Of Champions and Mother Night.

His work was imaginative, funny, tragic, enigmatic, sometimes confusing stuff that I found fascinating. It certainly played an important role in my own creative development.


So, to the late master I offer this:

Farewell, Mr. Vonnegut,
from this madhouse where creatures descended from monkeys are the dominant occupants. I hope you’ll get to enjoy eternity on Tralfamadore with your faithful dog and a bare-breasted Valerie Perrine. I pour a virtual 16 (ounce) out on the curb in your honor.


PS: Say hello to Hugh Jackman for me. I understand he's floating around on a tree out there somewhere.

7 comments:

Infinitesimal said...

i saw him lecture once a few years ago

he was my favorite author

i will miss him

very much so

Pete Bogs said...

I am jealous... actually, Joseph Heller came to my college in '92... I should have gone!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bogs,

Have you ever been Mocked on the internet or on your Blog? Have you ever been made fun of or personally attacked?

If you have what did you do? How did you handle it? Do these type of actions towards you upset or make you mad?

Please give me some advice on this.

Thanks.

K9 said...

/bark bark bark

*lifts an ice-9 cocktail salute*

/grrr

Pete Bogs said...

anon - I have taken a fair amount of abuse for my views... but I just consider the uninformed source... screw 'em!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bogs.

Infinitesimal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.