Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Carnival Of The Liberals #37 (UPDATED)

The Carnival of the Liberals has finally arrived at BogsBlog, and will be here for your reading pleasure for two weeks. Not to worry, all the carnies are fully licensed and qualified liberals. Beware of pickpockets and trolls, however.

It was certainly difficult to whittle the dozens of submissions I received down to just 10, but them’s the rules! The posts below range from the scholarly to the satirical to the sublime; all were chosen because they had what the French call a certain I don’t know what. Great job all around, folks. Sorry I couldn’t post more of these.

Let the carnival begin...

In a very Swiftian post indeed, Jon Swift over at his eponymous blog proffers that even mentioning the word "abstinence" might lead kids to impure thoughts and actions. You can decide for yourself whether he’s serious or not. Either way, his post called Is Abstinence-Only Education Too Explicit? is pretty damned entertaining (and includes visuals aids). Suggested snacking for this read: plump, rosy-cheeked Irish tots.

Over at hell's handmaiden, the eponymous blogger tells us that the war against God will not be televised, because He does not exist. The post also dispels the myth of the courteous rapist, i.e. the kind that provides Plan B contraceptives to his underage victims. HH gets some devil's advocate creds with Plan B - Make up something really silly, because you can.

Tobe38, a British blogger bloke over at A Load Of Bright, suggests in Positive Discrimination (wince!) that discrimination is discrimination is discrimination. I’d been considering a post like this myself for some time. Thanks, mate, for the saving me the work!

I couldn't help noticing the Onion-sounding-titled take on gun control,
Gun Lobby Wins, Says Gun Lobby, written by Doctor Biobrain over at And Doctor Biobrain's Response Is.... Incidentally, I've been thinking, though the Second Amendment ostensibly permits the bearing of arms, it doesn't say a G-darned thing about the right to have ammunition. So, make all guns legal everywhere and all the time, but good luck trying to shoot someone or something with them. Now that’s what I call gun control! Of course, there’s also Chris Rock’s suggestion of making bullets cost $5000 apiece.

In a persuasive post called Virginia Tech and Gun Control, Stephen Ward (btw, the phoniest sounding Web pseudonym ever... I mean, come on) over at Project Paradox
explains why even ardent gun opponents should support the Second Amendment, if not in the extreme and intractable fashion of some of our fellow citizens.

Next, a mother laments her teen son’s disinterest in the problems of the world in a post that proves saliva and activism aren’t completely incompatible. Wet your whistle with Spitfire, submitted by Lill Hawkins over at News From Hawkhill Acres.

Perhaps The Speeker over at Talk Lab has an explanation as to why Lill’s son isn’t more interested in activism. According to his post Structure of Activism: Corporate or State goverance? (sic), activism sold out and went corporate long ago. What's next, a non-profit IPO?

What do you want? Are you sure you know? David over at 360 Degree Success isn't so sure. He thinks you're being conditioned to want everything from cigarettes to war in the Middle East. Duct tape and plastic sheeting, anyone? They Live comes to life with Are You Sure You Know What You Really Want?

Dave (no relation) over at Daveawayfromhome suggests that the real cost of the war in Iraq may be a good education for a lot of Americans. No Child Left Behind indeed. Take a peek at his in tuition.

And finally, Diane Silver over at In This Moment gives her insight on what’s really going on with America’s most vile, tactless, misguided homophobes in Kansas' Westboro Baptist Church & the saddest family in America. Not that I'm biased or anything, but I think it'd be fair to say "God hates Phelps."


Have you enjoyed the carnival? Well, it moves on to That Is So Queer... on May 9, so be sure to check it out!

12 comments:

Doctor Biobrain said...

You're welcome.

Lil Bit said...

Oh my, what have I walked in on? LOL
Now THAT'S some serious reading ya got linky-listed here!

Pete Bogs said...

it's a carnival... a splendid time is guaranteed for all...

Stephen W. said...

I'll have you know that Stephen Ward is my real name, not just some web pseudonym. ;)

Seriously, though, thanks for the link. This carnival's always a great read, and I'm happy to contribute to it.

Pete Bogs said...

stephen - my pleasure... I do tend to josh around a bit...

Bird said...

terrific bogs! i'll have to take my time enjoying the links...

but does this mean you'll be out of action for a bit? or will you continue to post?

piggy - if you show up here, i left a comment for you on bogs' previous post.

Pete Bogs said...

bird - apart from writing, I like acting as an editor... think of this as a compilation book, with me as the editor... I tried to get some of my own style into this post, as I won't have another one for a while... but I will continue to interact in this comments section...

and, if I absolutely feel the need to write something before the two weeks is up, I will use my secondary blog, Fragmentia 13... we shall see...

Sanford said...

Bush and Cheney are lyers. They killed thousands of US troops. They should be impeached. Cheny is also a flaming homo and likes dick.

Regis said so.

Regis is also gay and loves men.


Bush said so.

Sanford said...

Exxon is a Terrorist Organization.

Sanford said...

NEWS REPORT

Just In!

George Bush was the actual person that gave the order to fire the seven U.S. Attorneys. This has been confirmed.


source: Stewart Marshall

Pete Bogs said...

hey y'all - during the carnival I'm running some original posts over on my other blog... check 'em out!

Fragmentia 13

Sanford said...

I hate pigs.