Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Uncool Cat

The artist formerly known as Cat Stevens is back after an absence of nearly thirty years from the music world. Yusuf Islam is once again serenading the world with his voice and his acoustic guitar, but instead of singing about mornings and moonshadows, he’s singing about Mohammed.

Forget that Lord Humungus guy from The Road Warrior; Stevens (I’m using that name to differentiate the man Islam from the religion of the same name) is the real ayatollah of rock and rolla. He’s got the long, scruffy beard and everything.

Stevens’ new CD came out in the US yesterday, and fans are still lined up outside their local Tower Records for a copy. Of course, since Tower has recently shut its doors, they’ll have a long wait.

But I’d sooner sit outside an abandoned building in heavy rain than buy a copy of the CD. Apart from Rick Wakeman’s wonderful piano part on “Morning Has Broken,” I had little interest in Stevens when he was a full-time secular entertainer. I’ve got even less use for him as an overtly spiritual one.

I was interested when Stevens’ alleged support of the fatwa (death sentence) against Satanic Verses author Salman Rushdie caused a John-Lennon-saying-we’re-bigger-than-Jesus-like controversy, and radio stations purged Cat Stevens from their playlists. Then came the album bonfires.

I must admit, I was responsible for getting Stevens on the no-fly list – through a now no longer anonymous tip – that ended up in his being turned away from the United States in 2004. I was afraid he’d be bringing his guitar, and felt America needed to be protected.

17 comments:

Jack K. said...

Operatives are forever on duty.

Once you commit for even one mission, you are in it for the rest of this life.

Ahh, spiritual inspiration.

What evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The Shadow knows.

Pete Bogs said...

while this was done when I was a Democratic operative, it was not an assignment... it was personal... I took it upon myself... I heard a rumor Stevens was planning a co-headlining tour with Phil Collins and just had to stop it... America is still not safe...

Bird said...

you are my hero bogs!

Hellpig said...

Thank You Sir Bogs I am more of a TOOL or Godsmack man myself,although I used to sing "Cats in the Cradle" for karaoke about 15 years ago........

Pete Bogs said...

I used to think Cat Stevens sang "Year Of The Cat"

of course, I was like 8 at the time...

K9 said...

/bark bark bark

"ooooooo baby baby its a wild world
hard to get by with A FATWA ON YOUR HEAD"

ride on the peace train....of jihad! first we kill you. then comes peace.

hell "cats in the cradle" was harry chapin. dear god. you sang that in karaoke? did your friends crawl out on their bellies in horror? grrrherhaha

/grr

Pete Bogs said...

dog - those were peace trains in London and Madrid, weren't they?

K9 said...

/bark bark bark

that's right bogs! and it was an act of peace and charity to go ahead and take out those infidel school girls as a part of the ramadan celebration.

morning has broken.....er, i meant allah akbar!!!

hey bogs, can ya do anything to get rid of chingy? how about slim thug and cameleonaire? p diddy? fergie? how about the killers? the fray? all those whiner bands that sound exactly the same!!! too many too mention. may they all enjoy 72 virgins...and soon. /howl

/grrrr

Pete Bogs said...

k9 - thwarting a reported Genesis reunion (trio version) is my first priority... maybe after that we can talk...

K9 said...

/bark bark bark

amen my brutha! (meaning no peter gabriel i guess)
noble cause bogs.

for those who thwart the shlock; we salute you!

/grrr

Hellpig said...

Thanks for the correction dawg...I also sang "sweet child o mine" by GNR and yes they all crawled out of their skins.....RAAAHAHAHHAHHAHA

Bird said...

time to send some jihadists after pig now - revenge for putting that damn chapin song in my head. this is torture!

Sanford B. Hines said...

I like Tool!
Tool is Cool!

Hellpig said...

Bird "Cats in ther cradle with a silver spoon little boy blue and the man in the moon............"

Pete Bogs said...

music lovers - let us unite in a jihad against crappy music... we have a lot of work to do...

Peaches said...

Strange.
I was a great Cat Stevens fan back in my callow youth. Peace and all that.

Strange.
Fundamentalist Muslims do not believe in music.

Strange.

Pete Bogs said...

peaches - yes, it is strange... and it's their loss...