Monday, November 27, 2006

Immodest Mommas

Last week some women held a “nurse-in” at several US airports to protest the earlier removal of a nursing mother from a Freedom Airlines flight. The protest participants, who cleverly refer to themselves as "lactivists," each came armed with a pair of weapons loaded and ready to dispense.

Public breastfeeding is one of those issues that seems to keep resurfacing in public debate. In Florida, the law ultimately sided with mothers, stating that a woman may breastfeed in any location she otherwise has a right to be. To do this, the state had to twist its own laws; there are stringent anti-public nudity statutes here that prohibit even skimpy swimsuits that show off far less than breastfeeding does. (This is in the Sunshine State, of all places.)

I don't think public breastfeeding is an issue the law should get involved with, unless it’s expressly to allow it. When the kid needs to eat, he/she needs to eat. It's not shameful, it’s natural and necessary. We Americans are way too uptight about way too many things, and are too eager to bring the law into the picture.

I am baffled (and sometimes amused), however, by how motherhood causes so many women to lose their characteristic modesty. I mean, many of these women were never the kind to just whip out "the twins" before the other twins came along. Then, all the sudden, they do so regularly and indifferently. Even Suzie Churchgoer (that shameless harlot!).

Hey, I welcome anything that gets people to loosen up, even for a short time.

The indiscreet breastfeeding phenomenon is no match, though, for the birthing videos some families like to share. Hey, wanna see the miracle of life on my 16:9 flatscreen plasma TV with Dolby Digital 5.1? I feel like saying, “No thanks, but I can come back sometime and see videos of your wife's vagina when it’s not all torn and bloody? How’s tomorrow evening for you folks?”

7 comments:

K9 said...

/bark bark bark

grrherhahaha funny last line! i dont care about breast feeding in public.....i can avert my eyes just like i do when i see somebody shaped like the kool-aid man sporting their skinny jeans /howl ..but honestly im not all that interested in lactating breasts.

and i agree that this infantile trend to try and legislate everything is annoying. this is 'sposed to be the home of the free you dummies!
/grrrr

Pete Bogs said...

I am ok with public breastfeeding, as long as it's soymilk...

seriously, though, I find all these puritan busybodies to be a fungus among us...

presidentbobo said...

I don't understand the people who have a problem with breast feeding. What could be more natural? It isn't like mom is tugging on her udder and hosing down all the onlookers. I usually just look away - nobody likes to be watched when they eat...

Peaches said...

I don't know where you have been seeing breastfeeding mothers, but in my experience of over 39 months in total of feeding my babies in public I have never ever shown nor seen other womens breasts..ie nipples at any time. There is a modest way of doing this and if you are freaky enough to stare at someone else eating then you are the weirdo and should be chucked into a paddy wagon.
For chrissake, you Americans are such a sick lot sometimes. You can see all the shit in the world on your TV and live in NY City but get het up about babies drinking milk.
Get a friggin' life the lot of you, will you?

Bird said...

both my babies were breastfed. on a plane trip when my son was still in arms, i breastfed him on take off - only to have the older woman in the seat next to me take umbrage. i ignored her.

when my daughter was 6 months, i returned to college and she went to my history class with me. one day in class, i had slipped my "nursing" shawl over my breast and my daughter, but the shawl slipped off just as my daughter was settling in. the young man sitting next to me got a full though brief view of my exposed breast and nipple before he picked up my shawl, gently draped it back over me and said with awe, "wow - that's so cool."

Pete Bogs said...

I have seen this in airports, restaurants, shopping centres, etc.

my "serious" point is, it shouldn't even be an issue that makes the news, because it isn't an issue...

the rest is tongue-in-cheek... i.e. not serious...

K9 said...

/bark bark bark

what? peaches missed the tone of your post? no!
this is the rocket scientist that skools us on geo politics. grrherhahaha

btw "juicy": i think you meant "allude" when you wrote this:

"Becareful Israel I think I am eluding to you!!!!!"

grrherherhaha

we'll get a life. right after you get a dictionary. punk!

/howl