Friday, September 01, 2006

MiPod

I’m not really a gadget guy. I got a cell phone only when someone gave one to me as a Christmas present. I rarely keep it on – or on me. I don’t have a PDA, and I still think “Bluetooth” is a slang term for a Brit with bad dental hygiene.

But I love music, so I had to have an iPod.

I’ve got hundreds of CDs, and while I have a portable CD player, as well as one in my car, not to mention one in my PC, my DVD player, my laserdisc player and my clock radio, it’s not convenient taking a stack of discs around.

The iPod takes portability to an absurd new level; I’ve got upwards of 5200 songs on mine, and it can hold many more.


It’s also a truly evil device created by an evil corporation bent on taking over the world (see Starbucks, Disney, Halliburton, etc.). I say this for several reasons.

First, they were able to get someone like me, who has generally resisted gadgets and other trendy crap, to buy their product.

Second, they got me to buy more of their products. The whole modular, "personalize-able" aspect of the iPod is an insidious yet ingenious corporate marketing plan to empty all our pockets.

After purchasing my iPod, I found I needed to buy a Universal Dock to charge it. This was a $40.00 paperweight to stick my iPod on overnight. The dock came with half a dozen adapters for half a dozen iPod models, just in case I happen to buy several more of these expensive gadgets.

I also have a USB Power Adapter for iPod (I should explain that I previously owned the smaller and more affordable iPod Shuffle, which has now been given to a loving home). Though my new iPod has a USB output, and the adapter has a USB input, no mere USB cable will marry them. No. You need the dock as the middle man to span the distance.

The accompanying dock-u-mentation tells you other things you can do with it besides charging the iPod. Curiously, they all involve the purchase of yet another product – a remote control, a car adapter, etc.

I can’t see the value in buying a remote for something that is already about the size of a remote control itself. But you can bet before long I’ll be looking into that car adapter.

Help a poor consumer in his moment of weakness, Jeebus. Deliver me from evil.

12 comments:

Aunty Belle said...

Bawgs, baby, I'se a fella sufferer. An' youse right!

I knows--it is a shock ter have yore lovin' Aunty Belle conjured up wif'a lurid image of that unimaginable techno wart attached, but...I'se confessin' I'se got an ipod. Nano. White.

Not too much music. Gregorian chant--some. A bit of Chris Botti. Load of podcasts--speeches and lectures, books on tape, by all contrarians whose names ya' reviles.

Got the auto adapter too. Sigh. I'se a fool.

Karen said...

Not an iPod girl, but lovelovelove my cell phone! In fact, got rid of landline and only have cell!!

Have a great Labor Day weekend!! :-)

CROAK said...

Sis has an ipod... others have ipods...I don't know what it is..I just see it on the streets..well in peoples ears and if it is not that then it is their mobile phone ( cell phone to you) and I wonder.. Where have all the people gone, long time passing? Gone to gadgets everyone. When will they talk to me , when will they eeeveerrr talk to me. (apologise to Bob Dylan)

Pete Bogs said...

aunt b - nano nano! they've got us! what a world!

karen - I actively hate cell phones, and often, their owners... I have never been inconvenienced or disturbed by anyone's iPod... not so for a cell phone...

croak - these gadgets do seem anti-social (as in, they take your attention away from actual people around you), but I find the cell phone more so since it interferes with other people... btw, we use "mobile" and "cell" interchangeably...

rusty shakelford said...

I won an IPOD as a door prize I was so excited, Now I wont have to buy one I thought. Since then I have forked over about 100 bucks on special software and cables etc. IPOD is defiantly the gateway drug to electronic accessories.

Jack K. said...

You are now an iPod addict. I have not gone that route. We have an outdated cell phone which is usually turned off. (We have it for our convenience.)

Good luck when you begin to Jones. lol

Pete Bogs said...

rusty ford - you put it more concisely than I: it's a gateway drug...

jack - I have the shakes really bad, but I can quit anytime... I swear it!

Karen said...

"I actively hate cell phones, and often, their owners"...

*runs away and hides in a corner*

Pete Bogs said...

karen - note my use of the provisional word "often..."

you're all right with me! ;-)

CROAK said...

Oh your photo is back..drinking Guiness, looking good!
Cheers!

Zya said...

I bought one too...

It is the best invention since sliced bread, and I should know since I invented sliced bread (not really).

But seriously - its great when travelling long distances, podcasts are a great way to get little bits of the latest without taking too much time!

ahh dear, i was totally sold before I bought it. if that makes sense.

Pete Bogs said...

zya - I could not resist its charms... once I held it in my hands, I had to have it!