Friday, August 25, 2006

Primaries And Political Potpourri

I hate the primaries.

My state's gubernatorial candidates squared off with contenders from their own parties earlier this week. As is typical, they attacked one another mercilessly.

The primaries are a necessary but particularly distasteful hurdle to get us to the November elections. In some ways, they present the toughest of all choices from a voter's standpoint; it's typically harder to pick from among your brethren (or sistren, as the case may be) than it is to pick from among the candidates of each party that compete in the general election.

But it's not the tough choice that I hate about the primaries. I welcome that decision-making process. I like getting to know what the candidates are about.

What I hate is the way the primaries sharply illustrate the patent phoniness of politics in general. The candidates go at each other's throats for months or however long the campaigning goes on, then, after the election, they act like old friends again, and talk of "unity."

You can't take back all that stuff you said about your opponent after the election. So, were you full of shit when you said it (i.e. saying anything for your own political advantage, making you an unfit candidate in my book), or are you lying now that you've lost, to avoid becoming persona non grata within your own party?

Yup. Phony and distasteful.

Speaking of which, the Republican National Convention is considering holding its 2008 hootenanny in my town. They were here earlier this week giving the place a test drive.

Had I known when they were arriving, I might have gone to the airport to mess with them. You know, create a disturbance to make them think that maybe this isn't such a great place after all.

It might not be so bad if it were just delegates coming to town in 2008. Hell, it might be fun to screw with their heads at the airport and around town in general. Ruin their dinners out with family, etc.

But a convention also means guys like Bush and Cheney will be coming here with their Secret Service posse. And when that happens, everything stops. They close off all the roads so our dear leaders can get around quickly and safely.

I resent being delayed in any way for crooks and liars. Why should my lunch have to wait so those morons can cruise around town and lower our collective IQ?

My message to the RNC is this: Take this convention and shove it, you're not welcome here no more.

10 comments:

rusty shakelford said...

according to the 2004 election results the RNC is quite welcome in Tampa.

Jack K. said...

Be sure you tell them how you really feel. lol

Pete Bogs said...

rusty - according to those election results they are JUST BARELY welcome here...

Bird said...

convention smention.

i say, cancel it all. who cares? it doesn't make any difference anyway.

i am suffering from disaffection - clearly.

the annual GOTV drive will start on my campus in a few weeks - i usually volunteer to register uninformed or ill-informed idiots incapable of thinking critically or of basing their vote on more than just the tv commercials - but i might pass on this wonderful opportunity this year.

not that i'm jaded tonight, or anything like that, oh no...

Jack K. said...

bird jaded? I think not. bird is as clear a thinker as I have read/heard lately.

Pete, you run a very close second.

I will vote for the prettiest scum bag in the lot as long as they are not neo-cons.

Modernists for me.

TTFN

Anonymous said...

Modernists will moderately save the world.

CROAK said...

Ahh democracy. Don't you just love it? Ahh freedom. Can't you just taste it as the roads are blocked and the right of way taken without concern for the ordinary person.

Gee I wonder why such great people like Bird are disillusioned??

Pete Bogs said...

I am pretty pessimistic about the process myself, but I have to keep hoping that sometime people will get smart and elect a good government... and in the meantime, get smart and toss the current regime out...

Aunty Belle said...

Bawgs, is anybody excited 'bout any candidate on either banner? Whole dern thang seems lackluster. I does care 'bout issues, but cain't see no candidates that worth a second look.

Pete Bogs said...

aunt b - as the song says, "Let's just call the whole thing off..." we need to start over from scratch... rule 1 - no lobbyists... we need a gov't that works for the people only...