Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Minimum Wage Bill Is Maximum Bull

Later this week the Republicant-controlled US Congress will decide whether or not to raise the federal minimum wage from its 1997-and-holding rate of $5.15 per hour to $7.25 per hour over the next three years.

What the???

What about all those small businesses we hear will be forced to lay people off or even close their doors because of the extra financial "burden" such an increase would place on them? Has the Congress, in their efforts to kiss constituent ass in an election year, forgotten those poor entrepreneurs?

I've never bought the self-serving alarmism that always comes up when the topic of raising the minimum wage is, well, raised. And even if there’s some truth to the notion that some businesses will suffer, there is a greater good that comes from an increase; essentially, more people benefit from it than are harmed by it.

I can hear the "commie" accusations about my “greater good” philosophy already.

Those who think that of me should consider this: I’m not sure I agree that inheritances should be so heavily taxed. Just from a logical standpoint, you dying shouldn’t mean Uncle Sam gets to dip his hand into your piggy bank. (Holy crap, I sounded like a Republicant just then! Must... resist... becoming... one of them…) That’s the undertakers’ and morticians’ job, anyway.

However, attaching an estate tax reduction to a minimum wage increase bill was really inexcusable. Congress' benefactors are saying, keep us rich at all costs, so Congress agrees. But this has nothing to do with the Average Joe Blow (AJB), who makes a couple bucks an hour for anything from shoveling French fries to shoveling shit. Ok, I agree, that was a bit redundant.

My point is, with $3.00+ gasoline and the overall increase in the cost of living that's occurred since 1997, AJB deserves a wage increase regardless of whatever other aims Congress might have.

Tying an estate tax reduction, which benefits a handful of people who will be rich with or without it, to a minimum wage increase desperately needed by many, is unacceptable. Take the bill back to the drawing boards, you greedy bastards.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh the min wage platform...seems like dems can't run on any other issue because of thier complete ignorance to what is really wrong with America...Being the only platform the dems have, Rudolf will make a great Prez...Thanks moonbats

fatty ~ said...

we have a pretty high tax on high-income earners, but its going down. It's all just an election gambit for sure.
No one likes taxes, but at least you'd think booming economy should help ease strain on low income earners!
i'm with you on this, but i cant really say about estate tax

CROAK said...

Well argued Pete.
hear hear to all you said.
Taxes should be something you are proud to pay not try to wiggle out of.

More from you my friendly little 'commie' mate.

Good on yer!

Pete Bogs said...

anon - so now I have absolutely no idea what you think about either part of the bill...

fatty & croak - cheers, luvs!

Jack K. said...

I'm not sure if I cited this site about the decadence excuse. If I did sorry about that. If I didn't, you might find it very interesting.

There was a citation on the evening news indicating that there has been very little impact on small businesses with previous increases in the minimum wage.

Interestingly enough, there are a number of states that have already increased the minimum wage.

This may be what consternatives want, give power back to the states. Or not.

Just some thoughts.

presidentbobo said...

Do the poor really need a living wage? Who really wants to live with the Republican-Taliban running the show? Besides heat stroke, sunburn and starvation doesn't add up to much of an existence. I think the solution to this problem can be found by combining the ideas of Swift and Lemmy: perhaps the poor should simply eat the rich. Although, I am not sure what you would season them with? Perhaps those ritzy gated communities can be turned into feed lots.

Pete Bogs said...

jack - I am all for the fed allowing the states to take care of themselves... but I don't mind if they act when the states refuse to... as for the wage hike, it's already above the fed rate here in Florida... btw, see my response to your comments on the plane blog...

pres - what are you, an ape??? that's a most immodest proposal!;-)

to the poor I say, "Are there no workhouses? No prisons?"

liberalbanana said...

I'm absolutely with you on this. And raising it to $7.25 over THREE YEARS? WTF? If $7.25 isn't even enough to be a real "living wage" now, it sure as hell isn't going to be in another three years! Those fuckers on Capitol Hill piss me off so much. I should walk over there right now.

liberalbanana said...

Oh - and I'm also with you on the estate tax thing. (Ack! The Liberal Banana makes a Republican-like statement! While I'm at it, I might as well say that I don't want immigrants sneaking over our borders either, goddamnit!)

If you've worked to earn your money, the gov't shouldn't be able to take more of it from you when you die. It's not right.

Anonymous said...

Most states already have a higher min wage example CA the min is 7.25 already...

Pete Bogs said...

anon - which means Congress is more worthless than I thought!

Pete Bogs said...

PS: cost of living needs to be figured into those state minimums, though... it's higher in CA, but that's also a really expensive state... they have to do that just to keep up...