Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Wonderful World Of Dying

It seems some Florida theme parks just can’t kill the tourists off fast enough.

Granted, some of the victims had undiagnosed health problems, but the fact that they died after riding attractions that were functioning normally is a bit scary.

In our growing desire to create ultra-real, ultra-thrilling rides we seem to have reached a point where we can go no further without, um, killing people.

My teenage nephew has been on the spaceflight simulator ride connected to a few deaths.

This is a kid who loves roller coasters, especially the contemporary “daredevil” ones. He joked to me that, when they rode the simulator, he and all his friends pretended to enjoy it; a sort of machismo thing, I guess, to save face in front of the other guys.

But most of them were feeling nauseous, and some of them actually did lose face (get sick) afterward.

Perhaps our bodies are trying to tell us something. If so, it’s that we’re not made to be turned upside down and inside out for the sake of fun.

Tourists, do keep coming to Florida and enjoying the attractions. Just, I suppose, do the latter at your own risk.

7 comments:

The Flabbergasted Heathen said...

I want to try that ride actually. I've heard great reviews about it, and I desperately need something to change my opinion of Disneyworld...

Pete Bogs said...

flab - might I suggest you have a thorough checkup first?

Hellpig said...

And insurance premiums paid up.

K9 said...

/bark bark bark

yeah and if you survive the ride you can que up for the swimming with sharks attraction.

good. weeds out the weak ones. stay outta florida! go home.

/grrrrr

Jack K. said...

Survival of the fittest?

Hmmm.

The Flabbergasted Heathen said...

Ok, so there's the whole dying aspect. But apparently it's a rather good simulation of space travel. Since I'm too tall to fly in the shuttle and I'm too broke to become a Cosmonaut, it would be the best I could expect.

Pete Bogs said...

flab - real astronauts tried it out and called it "very accurate," so go for it... but I don't think 4-year-olds should try it...