Friday, June 02, 2006

Workplace Dirt (aka Attack Of The Clones)

Those who've read my blog with any regularity know that in recent weeks I've gotten a new job, albeit a temporary, part-time one. It beats the dole any day.

There are people and situations in this job that seem strangely familiar; they have parallels in my former workplaces. I think back and realize the names and faces have changed but the people are essentially the same.

Like this interesting group that sits just over the divider from me.

These folks are a lively bunch. Translation: They're pretty noisy. They seem to always be having a good time, laughing and such, but I'm sure they get their work done. I'm jealous of them, to a degree, but I also sometimes have difficulty concentrating on my work.

There's one rather, um, outspoken African-American woman who's very nice, and quite funny. Oh, and she used to suffer horrible PMS, but birth control pills helped her.

How the hell do I know that? I'm one of many who heard it, I'm sure, across the five-foot-tall divider that separates she and I. She was having a discussion with a bleach-blonde (more identifying people by appearances - this Bogs must be prejudiced, the reader thinks, not realizing I am substituting these for names to protect the identities of those mentioned herein) whose cubicle is just across from hers.

The latter explained that she takes the pill to "regulate," and later made it known that she gets "plenty of protein" in her diet. The context of the diet comment, which was hinted at by the speaker's tone of voice, became clear after I heard the reactions of several men around her, ranging from delight to disgust.

I imagine the disgusted comments came from the two flamboyant gay men in that group. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) They seem pretty open about their orientation, and good for them! But, they're kind of loud in their effeminacy.

Being the new - and temporary - kid on the block, I dare not make any waves about these disturbances. It's not so much the content, though, as the volume and frequency of their conversations. Hell, this stuff is amusing, otherwise.

And it amazes me, too, because as I said, each of these people strongly reminds me of a person or persons with whom I used to work. I mean in terms of appearance, manner of speech and personality.

Maybe people do fall into basic "types." Or maybe the notion that everyone has a twin or a doppleganger somewhere is true. I don't know. But I do now know a few things I probably shouldn't (and so do you).

Ahh, thank Guinness it's Friday. That's all that's really important.

15 comments:

Paddys_Gal said...

I'm so jealous, PB. I don't sit close enough to my co-workers to overhear any good dish. Thanks for an entertaining post. : )

Hellpig said...

BOSE noise cancelling head phones

Jack K. said...

The gay guys had a problem with protien? Go figure.

Jack K. said...

How was that for bias?

The Flabbergasted Heathen said...

Yeah, I'm the boss (for the moment) so people shut up when I'm around...well most of them at least.

Pete Bogs said...

hell - I used to bring an iPod and CD player to work... at this job people don't really do that...

infinitesimal said...

congrats on having money!!

I have noticed parallel "me"s out there.
people who have the same life story type thing etc....

it is spooky

Pete Bogs said...

PG - I would prefer the isolation, because I could listen to some tunes while I work...

jack - perhaps they were disgusted by the thought of a WOMAN enjoying the protein shake? hmm...

flab - I will watch what I say around you!

infini... thanks... it's less than I started out with, but more than I've enjoyed lately...

Ben said...

basic types?

You bet.

And - being this anachronistic European used to doors in front of personal office space - I really do not envy you for living in the country of cubicles.

talkytalk said...

Gee you are going to get a real good education being able to hear such conversations. Who knows; once you are no longer the 'new kid on the block' they may wonder at your ability to understand them all so well.
The office 'Agony Aunt' lives!

fatty ~ said...

hey bogs, long time no see!


people may share traits - some of them stronger than others. DNA is based on 4 simple molecules and their arrangement. Most of our basic traits - or chromosone segments - we share with millions of others.
Its the exact grouping of all those basic pieces that make us individual.

K9 said...

/bark bark bark

lay off the self tanner bogs!

/howl

Pete Bogs said...

fatty - nice to see you...

k9 - that's a birthmark, and I'm very sensitive about it! (sniffle)

Bird said...

i simply can't keep up with your rapid switch in photos! i suppose i'd better roost and get back into this blogging thing before i no longer recognize you at all!

jack - that joke was so bad - it was good.

Jack K. said...

hmmm, indeed!