Monday, May 08, 2006

They're Putting Finchy Behind Bars

"Christ, I'm getting all emotional from it, ya know." - Fat Bastard

Finchy, my frequent avian guest, is going behind bars.


Imagine my surprise when I looked out Saturday morning and could not find his feeder. Where it used to hang was an aluminum frame with one vertical bar running ceiling-to-floor from it, and a horizontal bar intersecting the other. The feeder had been placed on the deck in a spot I could not see from the window.

I'm sure my apartment management announced that they were screening in porches for all units, but I don't recall seeing the memo.

I will not have any "outside" access once the screen is installed, so I will not be able to hang a feeder anywhere. Nor will there be much space for a little bird to land and sing to me.

There will be a small ledge outside the screen, which I may be able to reach with a ladder to put some feed out (sans feeder), but apart from that I think my bird-feeding days are nearly over.

I think that without the ample landing space, Finchy may not return.

It was a great joy feeding Finchy and his still-unnamed lady friend, as well as the black birds (not blackbirds), mourning doves, cardinals (punk rockers of the skies, with their bright red mohawks), blue jays and squirrels who also located the free buffet.

It was Finchy who first sang on my deck daily while I sat just inside at my computer, even before I bought a feeder. His song became the soundtrack to my online job search. I won't miss the latter, but I won't forget the former.

8 comments:

Jack K. said...

You do have some fond memories of a short, but enlightening relationship. And you still have the photos.

Ta, ta Finchy.

Aunty Belle said...

Put a platform feeder in the common area nearest yore balcony...

The Flabbergasted Heathen said...

You could always make a small cut in the screen...

Pete Bogs said...

Aunt B - I'll see about that... thanks!

flab - I may be able to rig up something out one of my windows...

Bird said...

damn landlords!

Ben said...

Hello Pete

My latest guests on the balcony are wasps. They dig - did not even know they could do that! - holes in the wooden rail and try to build nests in about five different places.

I'm okay with the spiders. After all, they eat some of the mosquitos.

But wasps? We're at war about who owns the place, right now, especially as the BBQ season is about to begin.

Summary: I'd rather have a friend like Finchy, too.

native said...

i have to say i am totally loving you pete! you and finchy, knowing the birds, and caring about them, making the point of remembering his song...that's a good man!! i would do the platform in a common area as aunty belle suggested.

pete, i think trout is a rhodesian ridgeback! each passing day that ridge of fur gets more prominent. she did her first hike today. loves the water. thanks for visiting and taking a look. gn

Pete Bogs said...

gn - I am nothing if not multifaceted!