Thursday, March 09, 2006

American Dictatorship Down Pat

Kansas Republicant Senator Pat Roberts (not to be confused with bloodthirsty televangelist Pat Robertson) has got the president’s back. And he’s a thorn in the side of democracy. And I’d like to put my foot up his ass.

As chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee (SIC), Roberts is the man in charge of the body that would, if it were willing to do so, investigate most of Bush’s impeachable offenses:

Lying to Congress about when and why he decided to invade Iraq

Eschewing statutory requirements about getting FISA approval for wiretaps no later than 72 hours after the taps

The investigation of pre-war intelligence on Iraq has been long-stalled by Mr. Roberts. It was underway before the ‘04 election, but slowed to protect the president’s reelection bid, and will likely still be in progress come November ’06 to protect the president’s party.

Now, despite the initial objections of many Republicants, SIC has decided not to pursue any investigation of the illegal NSA wiretaps.

Instead, they’ve come to an agreement with the White House – and I use the term “agreement” ironically because it was all on Bush’s terms – to give the president more leeway in exchange for a little more oversight by Congress.

In other words: We'll forget about what you’ve already done wrong, but we’ll keep a bit closer tabs on you in the future.

The president has broken the law many times; that makes him a criminal, plain and simple. All his enablers in Congress (especially the SIC ones) are his accomplices as far as I’m concerned.

Yes, many Democrats voted to go to war with Iraq. But it’s not they who’ve been thwarting legitimate investigations of myriad wrongdoings since.

No consequences. No accountability. No rules for the mighty. Sounds like a dictatorship to me – no shit.

Thank you so very much, Mr. Roberts. Your disservice to this country shall not be forgotten.

21 comments:

Paddys_Gal said...

Yes, add Mr. Roberts to the the Republican "Wall of Shame". What a prick.
The Bush Admistration makes me want to throw up.
That is all.

Jack K. said...

Pete :-) I have to admit to lurking. Sorry about that. Some days I just don't feel competent enouhg to say anything anywhere near cogent or understandable.

I think you are right on about Mr. Roberts, who by the way, is a Senator from my state.

I provide this email address for all who would like to drop him a line about his actions: pat_roberts@roberts.senate.gov

I know that his staff will probably send you the appropriately numbered reply. They are very good at that. Occasionally they even answer your question or comment.

My Friday morning coffee group, the Old Bastards have been mentioning the responses the receive from whomever the correspond. We retired military guys like to think we are an important constituency. But you know how it goes, somedays you get the bear, and most days the bear gets you.

Continue to ...

Serve well! Live fully! Do good works!

Jack K. said...

See what I mean about competent. I do know how to spell enough. What can you do with dyslexic fingers?

Mr Q said...

Roberts, and the other two Dumass family members that voted yes for the ports deal which will be vetoed within , let's say 48 hours maybe? The nice people from the UAE are giving us more time to close the deal, I just want to say thanks for that. When it hits the fan, there is only one person to blame for the death and destruction. Everyone who voted for Bush. I didn't.

Anonymous said...

Who is really behind the port deal? Who recently made a speech from Dubai? Think hard. The answer will suprise you.

Pete Bogs said...

jack - good to know you're still around... no obligation to comment, of course...

you former military personnel are an important voice in politics... a couple of weeks ago I got an email from Kerry asking for financial assistance for veteran Democratic candidates for office in '06, including a female amputee from the Iraq war... I ponied up fast...

Hellpig said...

This kinda reminds me of the Clinton administration

Clinton cover ups

Jack K. said...

Pete, given how you and your readers have had some difference of opinion with Dubya, perhaps you would likd to give brains for Dubya.

I want to thank Alison for this one.

Hellpig said...

bad link Jack,try preview before posting ,just a thought

Pete Bogs said...

anon - is this what you'd call an anonymous tip?

jack - thanks...

hellpig - be nice...

Hellpig said...

K

Hellpig said...

Anon.....

I know! I know!...(waving hand frantically) Pick-me Pick-me

Hellpig said...

BTW PORT Deal just as I said it would be, is dead it has not passed
BREAKING PORT NEWS: DUBAI YIELDS

Pete Bogs said...

yeah, I saw that... thought he could get it past Congress, but even his majority party was against it... poor Mr. Boosh...

Jack K. said...

HP you are so right. Sorry about that. Let's see if this will be better. Dubya

I know you will let me know if how this one works.

Hellpig said...

Thx Jack,well I got him into second grade ,That's enough to be Prez. isn't it?

Pete Bogs said...

Jack, is that supposed to be a download or a link? it wants to put a file on my PC...

Hellpig said...

Now Jack that's actually funny,I played twice the first time I got 2 and put him in second grade the second time I got 9 and still only put him in second grade.LMAO

ffff said...

Ah perfect chance. Could anyone in the USA tell me if they have heard of a Mr Michael (Mike) Ruppert. He is an ex narcotics officer with LAPD. I have just been watching his lecture at Portland University where he brings to the fore all the 'facts' about why Sept 11 occurred, why Afghanistan was attacked in answer to the terrorists, how the binLaden family were connected to the Bush family, how Georgie W's granddaddy was a Nazi apologist and much more.
Has anyone heard of this person. Has anyone seen him or heard of his following evidence right through to the CIA?
I'd love to know if I am a part of a scam, or just a plain conspiracy theory or I'm being told something ( even if it is 50% true) worthwhile.

Sorry to use your blog, Bogs for this question. Didn't know if anyone would read mine who could help me out.
Cheers

fatty ~ said...

no man should be allowed so much power over so many people and not be held accountable

Pete Bogs said...

alison - try www.reopen911.org for similar info... I'm not entirely sure what to think...

fatty - you said it, sister!