Monday, January 23, 2006

Summer School: Not Just For Slackers Anymore

Growing up in the North, I got accustomed to going back to school in September each year.

When I moved to Florida, I had to adjust to the fact that school started at the end of August.

But over the years that start date has crept forward, and now kids here are unzipping their pencil cases the first week of August.

Even taking into account that there are no true, distinct seasons here, that means Florida kids are going back to school with a full month of summer, as it’s generally understood, left on the calendar.

And that’s not cool.

Summer breaks seem to be going through a trend that evening news shows started a few years ago. Six o’clock? Not early enough! Let’s start at five o’clock, before working people are even home. Or, maybe four o’clock, so we can get in another hour of human interest filler.

School years are gradually growing longer, too, putting a squeeze on summer plans for many.

Summers during my schooldays meant three full months of loafing. All night TV (without cable or a VCR). Getting up past noon and spending the day in the pool with my golden retriever.

Now that I’m out of school and working for a living, I crave those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. I wouldn’t want to deny anyone else the chance to goof off before having to buckle down year-round.

So it heartens me to see some “old school” folks like Florida Governor Jeb “My Bilingualism Makes Up For My Brother, Who Never Learned To Speak One Language Correctly” Bush, who’d like to see prayer and uniforms back in public schools, support a post-Labor Day start date.

Other backward states are also considering pushing school start dates forward.

It’s time for a return to the good old days of American tradition – when only band kids, slackers and miscreants were in school during summertime.

9 comments:

The Cubicle Reverend said...

Aye lad, I know what you mean. I miss those loafing days. And remember when you had to get up and change the channel, and it had 2 knobs, one for vhf and one for uhf?

Pete Bogs said...

we were the last family to have a color TV, the last to have a remote, and last to have cable or a VCR... still, I always found something to watch...

there are a few things we only get to do when we're kids: loaf during summer, believe in Santa, etc.

I say kids should be allowed to enjoy those things while they can...

presidentbobo said...

I say we scrap the whole thing and put the kids back in the factories where they belong...or better yet, back to the coal mines. Then every family can afford a Hummer with DVD players for every passenger.
I don't understand why it takes so long to teach the kids the stuff that is going to be on the FCAT. If they can design a two-month prep class for the GRE can't they also design school just to cram in the two months of knowledge needed to pass the FCAT?

Pete Bogs said...

so that's where the last of the great robber barons went - Amsterdam?

are there no workhouses? no prisons? how about a red light district?

thanks for your comment, Pres and Rev!

shes_a_sprite said...

It's not just start dates that are different, the ciriculum is way off down here. I transfered my Senior year from a northern school, and was completely shocked as the Honors and AP courses were my freshman and 8th grade level classes. When I left Missouri, the start date was the day after labor day... I don't know now though...

I agree kids should be able to enjoy "those things"

infinitesimal said...

Hey man, I have crappy eyes. I WANT to read your blog but green on green is not user friendly. Consider changing the format so I may sit at your feet and learn?

Thanks

Pete Bogs said...

wow, you DO have bad eyes... my site is yellow text on a blue background... kidding!

I initially had some concern that my text was too small, but I didn't like how few posts that left me with on the main page... I may enlarge the text now that I'm embedding (as opposed to listing) my links...

as for the text color, when I set this blog up it took a while to find a color that didn't look weird against the background... I was never totally happy with the light green, but it was better than the others... I may need to take another look at it...

btw, dark green is the official background color sponsor of BogsBlog...

Cecelia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
infinitesimal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.